viernes, 28 de mayo de 2010

Communicate Effectively

This month I switched from my IPhone to a NexusOne .

My idea is not to criticize one or the other, the idea is try to find the best of two worlds, and try to find what are the best practices for Smart Devices Application developing.

So in this post I'll focus in effective communication with the end user.

During the jurney to google IO I set my NexusOne to airplane mode for first time.

During the flight I entered to the official Twitter application for Android in the NexusOne, obviously I had no connection to my 3G.
When I tried to refresh my Twitter timeline the device showed me a ballon that said:

"Can not retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later..."

Very good! That is a good message, the problem was the end of the message

"Can not retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later [0/class.java.net.UnknownHostException]"

This kind of things is design for developers instead of design for users.

So, the first advice we all should remember:

Final users known nothing about our programming languages!

So communicate effectively, and be aware that the final user is not always a developer.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario